Solo Mission to Mingo 8/3/13!!!!!! DAMn YOU THERMOS

by Dan Decibel August 06, 2013

After working all week long, I needed to get some fishing done. This week I had to work or DJ every single day. A last minute cancellation for my gig on Saturday, gave me a window. Friday night while Djing in South Beach, I was contemplating on wether to hit the park or not! I was very tired at the time and no one was available to join me on the trip. I usually don’t like going solo. Even though I go solo from time to time, I rather go out with a couple of friends. So it was about 3:30 am and I was playing my last song, I walked outside the club and see a huge storm coming from the East. I quickly got into my car and at this moment I’m like screw this, I’m just gonna stay home and rest. As soon as I got home, I stepped inside my room and all I see is my Fly rods in the corner looking at me all sad and stuff. Im sure they were saying ” Come on Dan!! Man up!!! ” I couldn’t say no. Especially since they haven’t moved from that corner in over a week. I quickly got everything ready. I made some sandwiches and filled up the thermos with water. 30 minutes later I was in the front door step of Dion’s. Since I was solo and tired I picked up a case of Monster Energy drinks for the drive. I drank 2 cans on the way to the park. Boy was I wired. I drank so much Monster, the mosquitos didn’t even want to deal with me. I guess I had so much energy, the paddle against the tide felt like a breeze in the morning. Once at the fishing grounds, I got into some tarpon belly crawling on the flats got a 40-50 pounder coming straight at me. I put the fly perfectly in its path, he rapidly saw the fly and ate it without hesitation. I came tight and swam towards me and the hook came off immediately after I hooked him. I was disappointed!! Oh well, on to the next one. I saw something weird tailing nothing like I have ever seen before I made a cast and nothing happened as I got closer to see it was a tailing Jewfish in the flat. I got so close before he spooked out. I knew that this opportunity would haunt for a very long time as I have never had the opportunity to cast at a Jewfish. I saw some juveniles rolling I poled up to one of them and hooked him good, at least I thought. After fighting him for about 40 seconds he spit the hook during one of his crazy jumps. As soon as that was over I was making my way where I had seen more rollers and I saw a red coming straight at me. I put the tarpon fly right in his face and he chased the fly all the way to the paddle board before eating it. He put a nice little fight even though it was on the 10wt. The sun was high in the sky at this time, I decided to put on my glasses and started to find some more reds. The wind started to blow really bad due to the fact that there were some storms around. I decided to anchor up the kayak and have a snack. I just sat there for a while and ate a sandwich and drank my 3rd can of Monster. The winds settle down a tiny bit so I kept on searching the flats. I caught some tailing reds here and there but I was more concerned on looking for Black Drums and Sheepshead. I am so infatuated with these 2 backcountry species because they never want to do anything with your flies. After running into bunch of Black Drums and figured they weren’t gonna eat, I proceeded on to catching more tailing reds.

RedfishAfternoon was upon us and hunger stroked immediately. Since I was busy catching fish I didn’t realize how hungry I was. I kept on getting cramps on my legs and my hands. I knew I needed some water. As I pick up my thermos, I quickly notice how light it was. As I was about to take a sip, nothing came out of the thermos. I freaked out immediately!!! All the ice and water that I had put earlier that morning somehow leaked out of the thermos. Oh great, thats exactly what I needed. I didn’t eat any of the remaining sandwiches because I figured it would make me even more thirsty. With the tide still coming in and the cramps getting worse and worse, I decided to stay out there at least until the tide changed. Since it was the beginning of Shark Week the next day I decided to get some sweet footage of some big sharks that were roaming the flats all day long. Decided to drift  with the tide for the next hour, that way I wouldn’t get even more cramps. There was bunch more clouds that had rolled in, I anchored up the Diablo and passed out for about 2 hours that way the tide changes and I get some energy to get back to the boat ramp.The Sound of thunder woke me up. There was a nasty looking storm brewing up just north of Flamingo. Luckily the tide had changed and it was time to make my way back. On the way back I had seen a good amount of reds tailing there asses off.

Screen shot 2013-08-05 at 1.13.04 PM copy


Even though I was dead tired and my body was aching really bad, I couldn’t resist the urge to cast at these Redfish. From this moment on I lay the smack down catching reds. I missed a couple of reds because I had a broken hooked that I didn’t know about until I decided to actually look at the fly. I felt so stupid!!! I changed the fly and got back to catching some more reds. Since there was still a lot of water on the flat I decided to look for some tarpon and actually land one. I was able to find them in really shallow water had some juveniles roll but wouldn’t take the fly because the water was kind of murky. I moved to an area where I had seen some bigger tarpon in cleaner water. As soon as I got there I saw one that was about 70-80 pounds with his back completely out of the water. I made a perfect cast he came up to hit the fly and missed it I kept on stripping and he got to close to the paddle board and spooked. I decided to catch more reds since the area was flooded with them.

IMG_4490 copy


IMG_4495 copy


At this time my body was still full of cramps there was times where I couldn’t even cast the rod because my fingers were completely locked down. I know it was stupid to still be out there fishing with no water but the wind had completely lie down and the flats were filled with life. As I was casting at a tailing red, I saw another big poon pushing water in the skinny with his back out of the water. I picked up the 10wt as fast as I could. I poled my way over the tarpon and made a perfect shot and he no intensions of eating what so ever. I stalked this fish for about 20 minutes putting shots after shots and he wouldn’t eat. I should have taken out the camera and gotten a picture but I was in the moment where I needed to catch a tarpon. That didn’t happen, he spooked and hauled ass out of the area. It felt like a Ping Pong game going back and forth with the Tarpon and Redfish. 10wt red

IMG_4493 copy

Once again my body was almost about to give up so I started to make my way back to the marina. At this point I had caught 16 reds and was ready to call it a day. But then I thought I still haven’t landed a tarpon, and I really want to land one. I saw 2 roll in a nearby area and high hopes were kicking in. I immediately made my way over there and hooked one and spits the hook right away. I was so pissed at the moment. I was about to say F@$K this and head home which was the right move since I didn’t  have any water and it was pretty much night time. I could hear the swarm of mosquitos making their way over to me, see some crocs making their way out to the flats, and catching a tiny glimpse of the sun going down. I was not going to give up. I really wanted  a decent tarpon before night fall. As I was getting my ass kicked by mosquitos, I prayed to god to give me one more chance. No more than 20 seconds later a 50 pounder rolls no more than 5 feet behind paddle board. I made a 10 foot cast and hooked up!!! I couldn’t believe it. Unfortunately this tarpon spit the hook as well. I was devastated, I had put all my energy into staying this late. As soon as the Tarpon spit the hook I put my head up to the sky with the rod by my side and thanked God for the opportunities he had given me. Even though my I did not land any of the Tarpon I sure had a of fun trying. I got back to the marina exactly at 9 pm on the dot. I had a nice warm can of Monster energy drink that had been cooking inside my truck the entire day. I can’t even lie, it tasted great especially after been dehydrated the whole day!!!!! I can’t wait to wet the lines again.


Until next time….-DAN DECIBEL

Also in Blog

Fishing the Flats The Mac Dill Air Force Base

by Skinny Water Culture April 25, 2017

3rd Annual Skinny Water Culture Paddle Craft Tournament

by Shane Alexander April 11, 2017

3rd Annual Paddle Craft Tournament

by Vince Stegura February 17, 2017